USBasp – USB programmer for Atmel AVR controllers
Now USB became in almost laptops and the serial port has gone and all made programmers use serial ports.in this post we will make a simple usb avr programmer connected through usb (no need for serial port).
This programmer uses a Atmega8 microcontroller with a few external passive components. The good thing is you don’t need any USB controller because it is implemented in the firmware inside Atmega8. Yes, you are right, you need an AVR programmer once to load the firmware inside Atmega8.
- Works under multiple platforms. Linux, Mac OS X and Windows are tested.
- No special controllers or smd components are needed.
- Programming speed is up to 5kBytes/sec.
- SCK option to support targets with low clock speed (< 1,5MHz).
Firmware and circuit
The following packages include circuit and firmware.
Firmware is the software which going to be burn into programmer’s microcontroller, this firmware have code to enable the programmer to communicate with pc via usb and target microcontroller.
ATMEGA8 Microcontroller 1
For details on how to build the programmer READ ME
Note:- Make sure you burn the right fuse bit configration along with the firmware into atmega8 microcontroller
for atemega8 the fuse bit are
atmega8 HFUSE=0xC9 LFUSE=0xEF
- AVRDUDE supports USBasp since version 5.2.
- BASCOM-AVR supports USBasp since version 18.104.22.168.
- Khazama AVR Programmer is a Windows XP/Vista GUI application for USBasp and avrdude.
- eXtreme Burner – AVR is a Windows GUI Software for USBasp based USB AVR programmers.